1/5 Photos of Mamma Mia! That's a Semifreddo!
In Italy, people love their frozen desserts almost as much as they love their espresso - and so do we Mamma Mias! We aren't particular about whether it's granita or gelato, as long as it is easy, delicious, and kid-friendly is definitely a plus. This handheld treat is easy to make, doesn't require any special equipment, and is bursting with some of Italy's favorite flavors: nutmeg, lemon, almond, and pistachio! The Amoretto is very nice for the adults, but can be omitted..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/3 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons almond extract or 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
Additionally for sandwiches
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios or 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 pint vanilla gelato
- 1Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the well beaten egg, blanched almonds, sugar, extract, spices and flour. Mix until the mixture is well combined.
- 3On a lightly floured surface roll the almond cookie dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut with round cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place the almond cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 4Bake the almond cookies at 325 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 5Meanwhile, toast the additional chopped nuts in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- 6When the cookies come out of the oven, spritz or drizzle hot cookies with Amaretto, then allow cookies and nuts to completely cool. Completely. Really. Keep your mitts off of them! :) (This is where the extra 20 minutes of no-work time comes from.).
- 7Pour the toasted, chopped nuts onto a plate. Then take one cookie and spread a scoop of gelato (about 1/8 cup, although you can certainly use more if you would like!) onto it and top with another cookie. Roll the sandwich in the toasted nuts so that they stick to the exposed gelato on the edge.
- 8You can eat these right away, or place in the freezer, wrapped in plastic wrap, for a yummy treat later. The serving size is entirely dependent on the size you cut your cookies. Remember to cut two for each sandwich.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamma Mia! That's a Semifreddo!
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.1
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 75.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: