College Girl's Note:
I grew up loving spinach because of this recipe. This is one of my favorite meals and will always remain amazing! My mommy has made this for ages and it is completely satisfying. The filling can be prepared ahead and frozen or refrigerated, but drain any excess water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) onions, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 teaspoons white pepper, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (whatever kind of white cheese you like)
- 12 (6 -8 inch) flour tortillas
Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 1Cook spinach in large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2While spinach is cooking, combine garlic, onion, and mushrooms in food processor. Using pulse button, process until vegetables are about 1.8 to 1.4 inch in size; set aside.
- 3Melt butter in nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture and saute until onion is translucent. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 4When spinach is done, drain and squeeze out excess water.
- 5Place bread in food processor and process to make crumbs. Add spinach, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, chili powder, and eggs. Process until thoroughly blended.
- 6Add reserved onion mixture and process to mix. Transfer to mixing bowl and stir in 6 tablespoons mixed cheeses.
- 7Spoon portion of filling into tortilla, roll up, and place in 13*9*2 inch casserole dish, seam side down. Pour Cilantro Cream Sauce over top and sprinkle liberally with grated cheeses. Heat under broiler until cheese melts and filling is thoroughly heated.
- 8Cilantro Cream Sauce:.
- 9In 2 quart saucepan, combine cream, cayenne, salt, and a little of the cornstarch/water mixture. Heat, stirring, over medium heat until thickened; sauce should be creamy, but not runny. Add cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, cooking well after each addition to reach desired consistency. Stir in cilantro. If made ahead, reheat before using.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mamma Caye's Green Spinach Enchiladas With Cilantro Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.0
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 126.8 mg
- Sodium 759.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 14.1 g