Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Mamaw always made this thick heavenly egg nog at Christmas time. She never put alcohol in it, but you could if you wanted. It's so good and rich its like drinking dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided in half
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 cups warm milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups whipped cream, beaten stiff
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Beat 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- Add milk and cook in a doulble boiler until mixture coats a spoon.
- Let cool and chill.
- Add salt to egg whites, beat, gradually adding in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites and whipped cream into egg/milk mixture one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Chill very well.
- Stir before serving, pour into cups and sprinkle with nutmeg.