Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for any gathering, party, friends, munchie attack,etc. Feel free to double this recipe.
Make and share this Mama's Nachos Grande!!! recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup canned chopped tomato
- 1⁄2-1 fresh green chile, cored,seeded,and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 13 ounces canned refried beans (no-fat)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- black olives, sliced
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion, green pepper, and garlic, and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes and chili and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the chili powder and paprika and cook for 3 minutes, then add the refried beans, breaking them up with a fork.
- Add the measured water and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Spoon the beans into the middle of a baking dish, arrange the tortilla chips around the edge and sprinkle with cumin.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the beans and tortilla chips.
- Bake in a 400* oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle the paprika in a lattice pattern on top.
- Chop scallions, cut avocado in cubes and scatter them on top.
- Place dollops of sour cream and black olives evenly around top and serve immediately.
Thank you! It was something that my stepson and I totally enjoyed for an easy dinner. I've had a craving for nachos, and this helped. Thank you!
I made this exactly as stated. I enjoyed this SO MUCH while watching football yesterday (I ended up eating it ALL, by myself!!). This was so much better than the store-bought stuff in a jar. I tend to find that stuff too "vinegar-y", but this was not, AT ALL!! And I loved the addition of the refried beans, which made it a "heartier" dip. I will be making my salsa from now on. Thank You SO MUCH. Made in memory of your dear husband, October,2010.
Although I somewhat tweaked this a bit this was one great recipe enjoyed during the football game. I added a 1/4 teaspoon on chili powder, and paprika, used 2 cloves garlic, and added a slight bit more cheddar cheese, these were the way we like em, nice and spicy. Very much enjoyed during the ASuper Bowl. Made for PRMR tag.