12 hrs 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a local Italian restaurant. This dish requires a long cooking time so is best made ahead and then can be frozen. The broth is kid friendly but you have to decide about the tortellini.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs turkey wings, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 lbs beef bones, trimmed (Beef Shank)
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, unpeeled (roots trimmed as well as roughly chopped)
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled, crushed
- 1 lb cheese-filled tortellini pasta
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1Place turkey wings and beef bones in a 12-qt saucepan and cover with cold water by 4″; place pan over medium heat and let mixture come to a very slow simmer, skimming off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface in the meantime.
- 2Add celery, carrots, onions, parsley, bay leaf, and garlic, and return to a slow simmer; cook, occasionally skimming fat and any impurities from the surface, for 6 hours.
- 3Add 5 cups boiling water, and continue cooking, adding more boiling water as necessary to keep solids submerged, for 6 hours more.
- 4Remove from heat, pour through a fine strainer into a large container, and discard solids. Let broth cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate until chilled. Once chilled, remove hardened layer of fat from surface of broth, and discard. Can be frozen at this point.
- 5To serve, reheat broth in a 4-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring broth to a boil, and then add pasta; cook, stirring, until al dente, about 7 minutes. Ladle pasta and broth into serving bowls, and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Facts for Mama Zuquinis Brodo
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 911.0
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 211.8 mg
- Sodium 200.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 72.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: