Recipe by MarieRynr
If you like maltesers (malted milk balls to you Americans out there) you will love these muffins!
Top Review by Nic
I didn't actually make these myself, but I did have the pleasure of eating one when I when round to MarieAlice's for the afternoon. The frosting was really good, the golden icing sugar and the syrup gave it a lovely caramel taste. The maltesers in the muffin don't stay 'crunchy' they melt and that gives a delicious toffee texture to the muffin. This is another winner Marie!
- 225 g flour
- 4 (37 g) packets malted milk balls, 24 left whole,the rest crushed (Maltesers)
- 110 g golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium egg
- 142 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 g unsalted butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
FOR THE CARMEL ICING
- 200 g golden icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 25 g unsalted butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180*C (350*F).
- Lightly grease 2 X 12 hole mini muffin tins.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the crushed Maltesers, caster sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, sour cream, vanilla, butter and milk, then mix into the dry ingredients, just until combined.
- Divide among the tins and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile, beat all the icing ingredients until smooth.
- Ice each muffin, then decorate with a whole malteser.
- The kids will love these!