Recipe by Somalikitchen
In Kismayo, Somalia, we eat malai (fish) with a salad and a kind of bread called mufo, a dense, tart and chewy cornmeal-based flatbread, which is similar to pita bread or Indian naan bread.
- 1 kg fish fillet (any kind of firm fleshed fish)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- olive oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Mix ground cumin, crushed garlic, salt, lemon and vinegar to make a marinade for the fish.
- 2. Marinate the fish for 30 minutes.
- 3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- 4. Fry the fish for about two minutes or until brown. Flip and cook the other side for another two minutes.
- 5. Remove the fish and place them on a piece of paper towel. This will remove excess oil.
- Malai Kismayo goes beautifully with a fresh salad.