1/2 Photos of Makrout a Louz - Algerian Almond Cakes
Um Safia's Note:
Delicious little diamonds of tangy almond delight! Easy to make and very much appreciated by all. Perfect for Eid celebrations or any special (or not so special!) ocassion. I also make these using a mix of desiccated coconut & ground almonds - 150g ground almonds + 200g desiccated coconut. You can freeze these and then put the syrup and icing sugar on later. I like to make a few things in advance so I'm not cooking 24/7 just before Eid etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the makrout
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (maize or cornstarch)
- 2 cups of light sugar syrup
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well - traditionally with your hand.
- 2Dust work top with a little cornflour, seperate the dough into 1/4's and then roll mixture into a sausage shape - approximately the thickness of a frankfurter or average thumb!
- 3Cut the sausage into 3cm pieces. Do this at an angle to create lozange or diamond shapes.
- 4Bake on middle shelf at approx 170°C until set but still pale in colour. THEY SHOULD NOT BE golden.
- 5When cooled slightly, drop one by one into the syrup. Hold on a fork and allow excess to dribble off before slowly dropping into the sugar.
- 6Re-dip with sugar 5 mins later and pop into paper cases.
- 7For the syrup you can make it easily by putting 2 cups of water, a halved lime and 1 cup of sugar in a pan and boiling for 10 minutes. It needs to be nice and light - just enough to hold the icing sugar on.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makrout a Louz - Algerian Almond Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (921 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 5.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of