This is for when you want to make a recipe calling for chocolate cake mix and you don't have one on hand. Found on Recipelink.com, originally from Make Your Own Groceries.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, soda, and salt; stir to blend.
- Mix in sugar.
- Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Label and store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature. Makes 1 package of mix.
- Each package makes two 8 or 9 inch layers or one 9 x 13 x 2 inch rectangle.
- TO USE:
- Pour 1 package of mix into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 1/4 cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract.
- Using an electric mixer, beat at a slow to medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Add 2 eggs; beat 1 minute more.
- Grease and dust with flour your choice of pan(s).
- Spread batter evenly in pans.
- Bake round cake pans at 350 degrees F. for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Bake the 9 x 13 inch pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in their pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto racks.
- CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES: Pour cake batter into greased cupcake tins or tins lined with paper baking cups; fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes about 2 dozen.