1/26 Photos of Mahogany Beef Stew
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
You will not believe the deeply satisfying flavour of this stew. This is our favourite wintry stew dish - comfort food to the max. The cooking time is more or less accurate, but it really depends on the cut of meat used - not everyone used chuck, and then, not all chuck is the same! You really have to poke and prod and taste to get it to where you want it...but that's what cooking is all about, isn't it? ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 1587.57 g boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces
- 946.36 ml chopped onions
- 473.18 ml good-quality red wine
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 118.29 ml hoisin sauce (this is the critical ingredient, don't leave it out!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- 2Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- 3Add meat to pot; sautï¿½ until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 4Push meat to sides of pot.
- 5Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot.
- 6Add onions; sautï¿½ until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 7Mix meat into onions.
- 8Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, garlic, herbs, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves.
- 9Bring to boil.
- 10Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Add carrots and 1 cup wine.
- 12Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 13Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
- 14Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 15Discard bay leaves.
- 16Season stew with salt and pepper.
- 17(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl.
- 18Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- 19Excellent with buttered egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mahogany Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (629 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.3
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 175.2 mg
- Sodium 623.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 59.2 g