Releasing the cookies immediately after removing them from the oven also proved crucial. To avoid imprinting lines on our cookies from wire cooling racks, we turned the cookies out onto a tea towel, tapping the mold gently on the counter to release them, if needed. To coat the molds, mix two teaspoons of melted butter with one teaspoon of all-purpose flour. Brush the molds and rims thoroughly, but not thickly, with this mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees, middle rack.
- 2In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, salt. Set aside.
- 3Beat yolks with whole egg and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer, about 5 minutes on high speed if using hand mixer. Slowly add sugar beating until a ribbon drops from beaters, about 5 minutes with hand mixer. The batter should be very light and fluffy.
- 4Gradually fold in the dry ingredients using a spatula. Fold very gently and carefully. Then do the same with the melted butter.
- 5Spoon batter into molds. (Batter should come just flush with mold rim.) Don't bother smoothing the batter; you don't want to deflate it, and it will smooth out on its own in the oven. Bake until tops are golden and cakes spring back when pressed lightly, about 10 minutes.
- 6Spread out a clean dishcloth on your work surface. When the madeleines come out of the oven, turn them out right onto the dishcloth. You need to get them out of the pans while they're still very hot. Do not let them cool in the pans. The madeleines are delicate when warm, so they're easily broken, so be careful when moving them until they are cool. Cool to room temperature. (Can be stored in airtight container up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.).
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Madeleines(Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 53.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g