From the Machine Shed cookbook, "Now That's Cookin'" I like that this recipe uses pears! This recipe serves 8 as written. If you're a smaller household, have Recipezaar reduce it for you (love that feature)! I always cut the sweetener in things as I don't like things terribly sweet, especially for breakfast, but I've recorded the original sweetener amount below to be faithful to the original recipe.
My Private Note
bowls ( ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (bits)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium pears, cored and chopped
- 5 cups water (or 2 1/2 c. water and 2 1/2 c. milk or milk alternative)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (you could sub rolled oats, just follow package directions instead of using the quick oats instructio)
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla yogurt (used as topping)
- 1 cup granola cereal (used as topping)
- 1In saucepan, combine juice, dried fruit bits, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2Add pears to fruit mixture. Cook, covered, another 10 minutes.
- 3Remove cinnamon stick (if using), and drain excess liquid from fruit mixture. Discard liquid.
- 4In saucepan, bring water (or water and milk) to boiling. Add oats. Reduce heat to medium; cook about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- 5To serve, top oatmeal with fruit mixture, yogurt, and granola.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Machine Shed Good Morning Oatmeal
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.0
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 4.9 mg
- Sodium 179.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g