Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Machine Shed cookbook, "Now That's Cookin'" I like that this recipe uses pears! This recipe serves 8 as written. If you're a smaller household, have Recipezaar reduce it for you (love that feature)! I always cut the sweetener in things as I don't like things terribly sweet, especially for breakfast, but I've recorded the original sweetener amount below to be faithful to the original recipe.
- 1 3⁄4 cups apple juice
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (bits)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium pears, cored and chopped
- 5 cups water (or 2 1/2 c. water and 2 1/2 c. milk or milk alternative)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (you could sub rolled oats, just follow package directions instead of using the quick oats instructio)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla yogurt (used as topping)
- 1 cup granola cereal (used as topping)
- In saucepan, combine juice, dried fruit bits, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add pears to fruit mixture. Cook, covered, another 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick (if using), and drain excess liquid from fruit mixture. Discard liquid.
- In saucepan, bring water (or water and milk) to boiling. Add oats. Reduce heat to medium; cook about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, top oatmeal with fruit mixture, yogurt, and granola.