1/1 Photo of Machine Mixed Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
1 hr 25 mins
I tried about eight different bread recipes before finding the one that I now make weekly for my sandwiches. This is it. It's a modification of a recipe from a Bob's Red Mill Flour bag. It was written for bread machines, but I bake it in the oven instead because I don't like the shape of the loaves in my bread maker. You could also mix it by hand, but using the bread machine or stand mixer is much easier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the ingredients to the bread machine in the order listed (or according to manufacturer's instructions).
- 2Select the dough cycle on the machine. Be sure that a 1.5-lb loaf is selected.
- 3Start the machine. When it begins the fast mix (after about 5 minutes), lift the lid and use a rubber scraper to push down any dough or flour that is not being mixed into the dough ball.
- 4Once the first mix is done (about 15 minutes on my machine), turn off the machine. Allow the bread to rise in the machine for about 20 minutes, or until it is roughly doubled in size.
- 5Turn out the bread onto a well-oiled surface. Flatten the dough somewhat, then fold it. Begin by bringing the edge closest to you into the center, then fold down the top. Repeat with the left and right sides. If needed, stretch the loaf to make it more oblong.
- 6Place the loaf into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- 7Preheat the oven to 375.
- 8While the oven is heating, allow the loaf to rise until it has just crested the top of the pan.
- 9Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Tent the bread with foil, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- 10Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- 11Note: The gluten is a very important ingredient. It helps give the bread its light, fluffy texture. You can find it at Whole Foods or in the bulk bins at WinCo.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Machine Mixed Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Serving Size: 1 (916 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2128.1
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 3577.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 387.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 57.8 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 78.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: