Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious vegetarian meal is packed with nutrients. If you've never tried kale, this is a good recipe to try! Kale tastes similar to spinach but retains its leafy texture. From Jeanne Lemlin's "Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kale
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to directions, making sure to not overcook.
- Rip kale off its stem into bite-sized pieces. (Be sure not to use the stem, as it is quite bitter. I've tried cutting it, but it works better to rip it).
- Rinse kale in a large bowl of cold water and drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or stockpot (you will need a lid later).
- Add garlic and red pepper, cooking over med-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in kale and broth and cover pan, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted but bright green and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Gently stir in salt, followed by beans, macaroni, and Parmesan. (Do not use canned parmesan, as it really will not taste right. Use the "real" grated parmesan!).
I love this stuff. I have eaten the leftovers from this for my last 3 meals, and I'm still not tired of eating it. I used vegetable broth and pene pasta, and I also added an additional 1/3 cup liquid at the end to keep it from being too dry. I used the cooking water from the pasta as this liquid. Aside from that, I followed the recipe exactly and I think it has the perfect amount of seasonings.
I love this recipe. I've made it twice in the past 2 weeks. First time I misread and used 3 cups veg. broth. Result was too much liquid (used a slotted spoon to serve) but tons of flavor. Second time I used the correct amount and it wasn't as flavorful. My suggestion? 1 cup veg broth. Simple, fresh and delicious weeknight dinner!
I also used Barilla Plus Penne vs. macaroni. I liked how the beans disintegrate a little bit in the mix, making the whole dish smoother. This has a great flavor despite only using a little salt and a little oil. I've started adding a small amount of feta to the dish in addition to the parmesan. love it!