This delicious vegetarian meal is packed with nutrients. If you've never tried kale, this is a good recipe to try! Kale tastes similar to spinach but retains its leafy texture. From Jeanne Lemlin's "Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kale
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to directions, making sure to not overcook.
- Rip kale off its stem into bite-sized pieces. (Be sure not to use the stem, as it is quite bitter. I've tried cutting it, but it works better to rip it).
- Rinse kale in a large bowl of cold water and drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or stockpot (you will need a lid later).
- Add garlic and red pepper, cooking over med-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in kale and broth and cover pan, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted but bright green and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Gently stir in salt, followed by beans, macaroni, and Parmesan. (Do not use canned parmesan, as it really will not taste right. Use the "real" grated parmesan!).