1/2 Photos of Macaroni With Kale and White Beans
This delicious vegetarian meal is packed with nutrients. If you've never tried kale, this is a good recipe to try! Kale tastes similar to spinach but retains its leafy texture. From Jeanne Lemlin's "Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs kale
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb macaroni
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cook macaroni according to directions, making sure to not overcook.
- 2Rip kale off its stem into bite-sized pieces. (Be sure not to use the stem, as it is quite bitter. I've tried cutting it, but it works better to rip it).
- 3Rinse kale in a large bowl of cold water and drain.
- 4Heat oil in a large skillet or stockpot (you will need a lid later).
- 5Add garlic and red pepper, cooking over med-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in kale and broth and cover pan, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted but bright green and tender, about 7 minutes.
- 7Gently stir in salt, followed by beans, macaroni, and Parmesan. (Do not use canned parmesan, as it really will not taste right. Use the "real" grated parmesan!).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni With Kale and White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.5
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 469.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: