1 hr 30 mins
My grandmother used to make this dish when I was growing up. My whole family loved it. I recently 'rediscovered' this recipe and now fix it for my husband.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/4 lb butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (or use canned)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sharp paprika (not sweet)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1Brown onions, garlic and green pepper and mushrooms if using fresh, in butter.
- 2Remove and set aside, brown ground beef.
- 3Add Seasoning, onion mixture, tomato sauce, sherry and macaroni and mushrooms if using canned.
- 4Pour into a 3 quart casserole, top with Cheddar cheese.
- 5At this point, you can bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly (approximately 30 minutes).
- 6However, this is best if left in the refrigerator overnight for the flavors to blend, then baked in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni Scramble (Goulash)
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.8
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 119.0 mg
- Sodium 1135.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 32.9 g