Recipe by DebiMcG
My grandmother used to make this dish when I was growing up. My whole family loved it. I recently 'rediscovered' this recipe and now fix it for my husband.
Top Review by Chef: More Spice!
This ts a great recipe! I've been searching for the one mom use to make this is close but I remember mother putting chicken broth in it! I will make it again replacing the sherry with a can of chicken broth! Thank you for the recipe DebiMcG
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (or use canned)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sharp paprika (not sweet)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown onions, garlic and green pepper and mushrooms if using fresh, in butter.
- Remove and set aside, brown ground beef.
- Add Seasoning, onion mixture, tomato sauce, sherry and macaroni and mushrooms if using canned.
- Pour into a 3 quart casserole, top with Cheddar cheese.
- At this point, you can bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly (approximately 30 minutes).
- However, this is best if left in the refrigerator overnight for the flavors to blend, then baked in the oven for approximately 1 hour.