My dad used to make this on Saturdays and I have just modified it a bit to suit our family. Kids love it.
- 1 1⁄4 cups macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped and divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 8 black olives, pitted
- Cook macaroni until just tender, drain.
- In large skillet, brown meat with onion, garlic, 1/2 of the green pepper, 1 1/2 cups mushrooms; drain off fat.
- Stir in pizza sauce, oregano and salt; simmer for 5 minute.
- Combine eggs, parmesan cheese and macaroni.
- Cover bottom of greased 13 x 9 baking dish with macaroni mixture.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly over macaroni; top with mozzarella plus remaining green pepper and mushrooms, tomato and olives.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: Any toppings can be used; the ones listed just happen to be our favorites.