My dad used to make this on Saturdays and I have just modified it a bit to suit our family. Kids love it.
- 1 1⁄4 cups macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped and divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 8 black olives, pitted
- Cook macaroni until just tender, drain.
- In large skillet, brown meat with onion, garlic, 1/2 of the green pepper, 1 1/2 cups mushrooms; drain off fat.
- Stir in pizza sauce, oregano and salt; simmer for 5 minute.
- Combine eggs, parmesan cheese and macaroni.
- Cover bottom of greased 13 x 9 baking dish with macaroni mixture.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly over macaroni; top with mozzarella plus remaining green pepper and mushrooms, tomato and olives.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: Any toppings can be used; the ones listed just happen to be our favorites.
Update: I had just enough leftover home made macaroni and cheese to use for my usual half of a recipe. It worked wonderfully for the macaroni in the recipe. I just brought heated it so it was pliable enought to stir in the egg and cheese. I have a grandson who is in a phase of eating only macaroni, pizza, tomatoes, or mashed potatoes. This recipe covered 3 out of 4. I halved the recipe easily. Because he is so picky, we only topped this with tomatoes and cheese. I did manage to sneak in green peppers and onions into the ground beef mixture. He really liked this. I will make this again and again and again.....Thanks Rocket
Excellent! This is perfect for when you have that craving for pizza but don't want to order out and don't have the time to make your own pizza crust at home. This is a good recipe to be creative with because you can pick and choose what kind of toppings you want depending on your family's taste. This is one I will make again and again. I am going to definitely add pepperoni next time! Thanks for another great recipe!