Recipe by Toni in Colorado
This is for the Zzar World Tour - Floozies - in the French category. Since it's baked in a souffle dish, it might fit this category. I tried it the first time June 23, 1987, and it's from the Better Homes and Gardens Calorie Counters Cookbook. I have yet to remember to time any of my recipes so preparation and cooking times are estimates.
- 1 3⁄4 cups elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons onions (chopped)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan, combine milk, cheese and salt.
- Stir over low heat until cheese melts.
- Stir about half the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return all to sauce pan.
- Stir in the macaroni, crumbs and onion.
- In a small mixer bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into macaroni mixture.
- Bake in an ungreased 1 1/2 quart souffle dish in a 325 degree oven for about 1 hour or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.
- Serve at once.