Recipe by KelBel
This was made for my SIL's birthday dinner. One of the best Mac and Cheese I have had.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, cut into small cubes
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dijon mustard, cheddar cheese, and Gruyère; set cheese sauce aside.
- Cook macaroni 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions. Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.