Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wake up this classic side dish by adding some new flavors. Courtesy emazing.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups sharp American cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Stir in the spinach (if using frozen squeeze out most of the moisture), bacon and macaroni.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Add the mixture to a lightly buttered casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes (or until starting to brown).
This was easy to make. My kids were skeptical because of the spinach, but ended up liking it. My husband thought that crab would make a nice addition next time I make it. Our family gives it a 3 for average.