1/2 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese With Garlic Breadcrumbs, Plain and Chipotle
I make this mac and cheese for large gatherings because it can be made 2 days in advance. Everyone loves it. I usually make half plain for the kids, and half with chipotles for the adults. Any tubular pasta will work and I often 'clean out the fridge' and add any other cheeses that I may have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, coarsely chopped
- 1Make bread crumbs:.
- 2Heat butter and oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides, then cook garlic and bread crumbs, stirring, until crumbs are golden.
- 3Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- 4Make macaroni:.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F
- 6Chop chipotles.
- 7Melt butter in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over moderate heat, then add flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute.
- 8Gradually whisk in milk, cream, and mustard and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 minutes.
- 9Cook macaroni in a 6- to 7-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
- 10Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl.
- 11Stir in white sauce, cheese, and salt to taste.
- 12Fill a 1 1/2-quart shallow casserole with half of macaroni mixture.
- 13Stir chipotles into remaining macaroni.
- 14Spoon into another 1 1/2-quart shallow casserole and sprinkle both with bread crumbs.
- 15Bake casseroles in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- 17Macaroni and cheese may be made 2 days ahead, put into casseroles, cooled completely, and chilled, covered.
- 18Do not add bread crumbs until ready to bake. (Baking may take longer than 30 minutes.)
- 19Serves 8 adults plus 10 children as part of a buffet.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese With Garlic Breadcrumbs, Plain and Chipotle
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.7
- Calories from Fat 696
- Total Fat 77.3 g
- Saturated Fat 45.7 g
- Cholesterol 232.6 mg
- Sodium 965.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo