Recipe by Brian121
I think I may have stumbled onto something great here. Much better than the blue box and easy to make.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This particular recipe came in handy for me as I made it for a neighbor couple who love mac & cheese almost anyway I fix it, & they very much enjoyed this one, too! AND, now that I've had a taste of it myself, I'll be keeping it around a while, because it is absolutely delicious, & I want to make it for just the 2 of us before long! Many thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1 lb shell pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring pasta water to a boil. Cook the shells al dente and drain. Place them in a large baking dish and set aside.
- Add the peas and ham to the pasta shells.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat so that it doesn't burn.
- Add flour and stir with a wisk until the mixture thickens.
- Slowly add the milk so it doesn't cool off the butter and keep stirring.
- Once the milk is added, continue to stir with the wisk.
- When the milk starts to simmer slightly, add 1/2 of the cheese, a little at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding more.
- When the sauce has the cheese melted in it, add it to the shells; stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the shells.
- Sprinkle with the Panko bread crumbs.
- Place in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.