Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick and easy baked pasta dish...Italian style.
- 1 lb penne
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 onion, chopped (medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned Italian style breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook Pasta in saled water to very aldente. (4 minutes less than package directions).
- Season Chicken breast.
- Saute chopped onion, garlic and chiken breast in olive oil over medium heat until onion is soft and clear and chicken is cooked and slightly browned. (It will conitinue cooking in the oven).
- In a bowl, combine the coooked pasta, the cooked chicken and onion garlic mixture, mozzarella cheese, chopped basil and the canned tomatoes and juices.
- mix well.
- Put the pasta mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
- Mix together melted butter, parmasan and breadcrumbs.
- Top casserole with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees 15-20 minutes till top is browned and sides are bubbly.
- Bon Apetito!
Made this recipe as given & it went with us to a neighborhood potluck where everyone was raving about it no end, it seemed, with a handful of people asking for the recipe! Very, very nice! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
This was loved by everyone. I used panko bread crumbs to which I added my own seasonings. Everything worked together so well, and it was a simple dish to put together. This is a recipe I will definitely be making again. Thanks for sharing... Made and reviewed for Spring PAC 2011.
Delicious. Per the last review, I halfed it and it turned to be plenty! This is a great and fairly easy pasta dish that is satisfying and tasty!