Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
I came up with this recipe for the Ready Steady Cook #11 contest. Macaroni and Cheese is near the top of most people's list of comfort food from when they were a child. This dish gives Mac & Cheese a chance to grow up and provide a lush meal. Perhaps even a romantic meal. The idea of putting in the sun dried tomatoes came from Amish Macaroni and Cheese that usually includes slices of tomatoes. I originally thought that this made enough for two big servings but a lot of people have commented that it makes more like four servings. Perhaps I wrote down the wrong amount of pasta that I used but it appears to be working with the larger serving amounts. I have also made this with low fat versions of the cheeses and it has worked well that way too and with fewer calories.
Top Review by twissis
This is a quick-fix & excellent meatless dish that works very well if paired w/a crisp salad & maybe a fruit-inspired dessert. You met your goal of grown-up comfort food IMO, but it fell just short of perfection & being fully-grown w/o the use of any seasoning or herbs. DH added mostly pepper & I used lemon-pepper seasoning salt. Even feeding 2 hearty appetites, this comes closer to serving 4 & that would also improve the nutritional data. I esp appreciate versatility & can see adding a Mediterranean flair to it w/a bit of prosciutto, black olives & garlic. Yum! We really liked this dish a lot & felt it was a creative & appealing use of the contest ingredients. Good luck in the contest!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use reduced fat variety)
- 3⁄4 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add shallots, sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms and cook them for a minute or two until they are just tender.
- Stir in flour and mustard powder.
- Slowly add milk.
- Bring to a low boil and stir often until the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Stir in the cheese and the white wine. Stir constantly until the cheese has completely melted.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the pan with the sauce and stir until the all of the pasta is coated by the sauce.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.