Prep 7 mins
Cook 14 mins
Best microwave macaroni in the world!!!!
- 1 cup hot tap water
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp American cheese (2 ounces)
- In 1-quart casserole combine water, macaroni, and salt. Micro-cook, uncovered, till macaroni is tender, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring twice.
- In same casserole micro-cook onion in butter till tender, about 1 ½ minutes.
- Blend in flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and dash pepper. Stir in milk and Worcestershire. Micro-cook, uncovered, till thickened and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir in cheese unill melted.
- Stir in macaroni. Micro-cook, uncovered, till bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring once or twice.
This is so easy. My kids always want macaroni and cheese, and I don't always have a box on hand. It does taste and look better, and doesn't take long at all. It would make two small servings - good for young kids, but if you have two hungry people eating it, they would probably not be filled up.
What a hidden gem this is!! Okay it does not replace oven baked, but you could put this in the oven to crisp up the top (if you want to wait that long). What it does do is replace that blue box! I'm thinking that it probably takes less time to make this than boxed and diffently tastes better. It makes a small portion only serves one in this house, maybe two if it were a side dish. But, in this house Mac and Cheese stands alone and is the main course. I used large elbow and would not use that again, also would cook the mac a tad longer, but maybe using smaller elbow/mac it wouldn't need to cook longer. Instead of worcestershire I used Tobasco and added a few large pinches of parmesean cheese. I will diffently make this again! Thank you Chef #1205272 for a recipe that I will pass on to my college daughter.
All I can sat is YUMOOOOO.This is my new favorite mac and cheese.So fast easy and tasty. I will make this very often. Thanks for posting it