Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Wonderful Island-flavored dish.
Make and share this Macadamia Nut Chicken Breasts with Banana Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 3⁄4 cup macadamia nuts
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
Fresh Banana Chutney
- 4 large firm-ripe bananas
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (or pickled sushi ginger, chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- First prepare the chutney.
- Peeled and dice the 4 bananas into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Chop enough cilantro to measure 4 tablespoons.
- Juice the 1/2 lime.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add the crystallized ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon cardamom and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the cubed bananas, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 2 to 3 tablespoons water, lower the heat, and cover the pan.
- Cook until the bananas are tender, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 3: meanwhile, prepare the chicken breasts.
- Chicken Breasts.
- Place the 6 chicken breasts in a single layer between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a rolling pin until they are somewhat evened out and flattened.
- Place the 3/4 cup macadamia nuts with half the bread crumbs in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the ground crumb/nut mixture with the remaining bread crumbs.
- Place the 1/2 cup flour in another shallow bowl.
- Lightly beat the 3 eggs in a third shallow bowl with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, dip a chicken breast into the flour, then into the eggs, then into the nut-crumb mixture; pat the crumbs on to adhere.
- Set the breast on a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- When the skillet is hot, add the 2 tablespoons each of oil and butter and heat until the butter is melted.
- Lower the heat and add the chicken breasts in a single layer.
- Cook them until golden and done, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- (If the heat is too high, the coating will burn.) Remove to a serving platter.
- finish the chutney and serve.
- Add the juice of the 1/2 lime, salt, and 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, or to taste, to the chutney.
- Add more sweetener, if necessary.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Serve with Basmati rice.