Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Macadamia nuts first grew in the coastal ropical forests of northeastern Australia and were discovered there by Dr. MacAdam. Make these bars when you want to splurge. From The New Carry-Out Cuisine.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, toasted in a dry frying pan
- Crust: Mix together the ingredients for the crust, using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture resembles meal. Press the crust into an 8x8 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 oven.
- Topping: Beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix the flour, baking powder, and coconut and add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth. Add the lemon juice and stir in the nuts. Pour the mixture over the crust and return the pan to the oven for 35 minutes. When cool, cut into bars.
These were super easy to make! It has a nice crust with a chewy topping, that is so rich! I baked the crust about 5 minutes longer since I baked it in a heavy Le Creuset Stoneware pan. I will definitely make this again. Made during * Zaar World Tour 5* 2009 game for team *Genies of Gourmet*