1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
The sweet bread called for here was introduced to Hawaii by nineteenth-century Portuguese immigrants. The stuffing can also be cooked inside the turkey, provided the bird is roasted immediately after being stuffed. For more flavor, rub the turkey with a mixture of salt and pepper and two tablespoons each of sesame oil, orange juice and lime juice, and let it marinate overnight. From Bon Appétit, November 1997.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups Hawaiian bread, crust trimmed, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes (sweet egg bread)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped drained canned water chestnut
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup about canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Place bread cubes on baking sheet.
- 3Bake until dry and firm, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.
- 4Transfer to very large bowl.
- 5Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Add sausage, shallots and ginger.
- 7Saute until sausage is cooked through, breaking up meat with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- 8Transfer to bowl containing bread cubes.
- 9Mix in green onions and next 4 ingredients. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.).
- 10Butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- 11Mix enough chicken broth into stuffing to moisten.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Mix in eggs.
- 14Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
- 15Cover with foil.
- 16Bake 45 minutes.
- 17Uncover and bake until golden brown on top, about 10 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Nuts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Nuts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macadamia and Ginger Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.7
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 417.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: