Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Good! I used Italian seasoning, a 4-cheese blend and omitted green pepper as I didn't have any. From Chatelaine magazine.
- 8 cups shell pasta or 8 cups rotini pasta, tricolor, uncooked
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb chicken
- 2 (19 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes or 2 (19 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese, preferably a 4-cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- To cook pasta, bring a large pot of water to a full rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, place beef in a large frying pan set over medium-high heat. Drain juice from tomatoes into frying pan.
- Cook, stirring often with a fork to keep meat separated, until meat loses its red color.
- Then, stir in drained tomatoes, tomato paste, green pepper, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer to develop flavor until pasta is cooked.
- As soon as water comes to a boil, add pasta.
- Boil vigorously, uncovered and stirring often, until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta well but do not rinse.
- Place in a large 4-quart Dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Stir in meat and tomato mixture.
- Smooth top as much as possible.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- (If not baking right away, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day).
- Bake in preheated oven until casserole center is hot and top is golden, about 45 to 55 minutes. Serve with a tossed green salad.