Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This mouthwatering recipe is from the CIA at Greystone.
- 1 quart low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 lbs macaroni, cooked
- 2 cups chanterelle mushrooms, chopped sauteed in butter
- 1 cup fresh peas, cooked
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups dried breadcrumbs, made from fresh bread
- 4 ounces cream
- Heat milk on a double-boiler while roux is being prepared. Blend flour and butter and heat to simmer for three minutes. Add to the hot milk, add the spices, and stir briskly. Increase the double-boiler heat to medium high and cook for 15 minutes. Add the Gruyere and stir until melted. Reserve the sauce.
- Mix the macaroni, chanterelles, peas, 1 cup Gruyere, and parsley with the reserved sauce and portion into baking vessels.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of cheese over the casserole. Mix the butter with the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over the casserole. Pour the cream over all. Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.