Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like, use just one type of cheddar or mix with another melting cheese, such as pepper Jack, Muenster, Swiss, or mozzarella. This recipe makes enough to fill eight 12-to-16-ounce baking dishes. Divide the macaroni and cheese evenly, sprinkle with topping, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden.
- coarse salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces ham, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 slices white bread
- 1- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta, and drain; reserve. Meanwhile, in a 5-quart heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in flour to coat onion. In a slow steady stream, whisk in milk until there are no lumps.
- 2-Cook, whisking often, until mixture is thick and bubbly and coats the back of a wooden spoon, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cayenne, if using, and 1 cup each yellow and white cheddar cheese. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- 3-Toss pasta with cheese mixture; fold in ham. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or individual dishes. Set aside.
- 4-In a food processor, pulse bread until large crumbs form. Toss together with remaining ¼ cup each white and yellow cheddar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Top pasta with breadcrumb mixture. Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes.
One of the better mac and cheese recipes I've tried. It was better the second day though - and did take quite awhile to make. The cheese sauce ended up with a slightly grainy texture in the pan, but wasn't as noticeable once I pulled it out of the oven
This was delicious Miss Banana. We really enjoyed this comfort food. I used old cheddar and asiago cheese and rosemary foccacia bread. The flavors and textures in this dish complimented one another beautifully. The sauce was very flavorful and covered the pasta nicely. I will be making this again. Thanks so much for sharing.