Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice little treat to eat during the holiday.
- 24 tart apples
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into chunks.
- Place the apples in a large nonreactive saucepan, and add the lemon juice and water. Stir in the sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and cook for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the cinnamon and raisins, if desired.
- Stir lightly for a chunky sauce and rigorously for a smooth sauce.
- Tip: For a pink applesauce, use red apples and leave the skins on. Once the apples are soft, you can strain out the skins or lift them from the sauce with a fork.