Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I picked this recipe up from the Norske Folkemuseum in Oslo a couple of years ago. I'm not too certain how many it makes so it's a bit of a guess, as is the preparation time! :-) I haven't put a cooking time as I wouldn't consider frying to be "passive work time". They can be frozen.
- 2 eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 125 g melted butter or 125 g margarine
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 kg plain flour (all-purpose?)
- barley flour (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- butter, sugar and cinnamon to serve
- Mix the eggs with the sugar and butter and stir into the milk.
- Slowly add the flour and baking powder to the liquid, mixing thoroughly.
- Continue adding the flour and mixing well until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Divide dough into pieces and roll out - apparently barley flour makes this bit easier!
- The cakes (lefse) can be either shallow fried or deep fried until golden in colour.
- Serve with butter, sugar and cinnamon.