An excellent choice on any morning you need comfort food. It's warm, easy, hearty, and healthy- not to mention perfectly sweet and creamy! Start your day off right!
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup water (slightly more)
- 1⁄4 cup apple, chopped small (this is roughly 1/4 of a medium apple)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (generous sprinkling)
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1⁄4 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 2 -3 teaspoons maple syrup
- For absolute best, creamiest results, soak the oats overnight in the water, in a small pot.
- In the morning, bring the oats and water to a boil, stir, lower heat and cover. Let it bubble gently, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes. Around when it starts to stick, remove from heat and leave covered for 3 minutes. (This ensures that none is stuck to the pot, and also helps creaminess.).
- Meanwhile, as it's cooking assemble the other ingredients.
- Pour oatmeal into your serving bowl. Stir in other ingredients, top with additional ground flax if desired, and enjoy immediately!
- Double or triple accordingly, it comes out perfect.