Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
An excellent choice on any morning you need comfort food. It's warm, easy, hearty, and healthy- not to mention perfectly sweet and creamy! Start your day off right!
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup water (slightly more)
- 1⁄4 cup apple, chopped small (this is roughly 1/4 of a medium apple)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (generous sprinkling)
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1⁄4 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 2 -3 teaspoons maple syrup
- For absolute best, creamiest results, soak the oats overnight in the water, in a small pot.
- In the morning, bring the oats and water to a boil, stir, lower heat and cover. Let it bubble gently, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes. Around when it starts to stick, remove from heat and leave covered for 3 minutes. (This ensures that none is stuck to the pot, and also helps creaminess.).
- Meanwhile, as it's cooking assemble the other ingredients.
- Pour oatmeal into your serving bowl. Stir in other ingredients, top with additional ground flax if desired, and enjoy immediately!
- Double or triple accordingly, it comes out perfect.
Wonderful porridge! I loved the walnut pieces in it. Topped it with home made vanilla yoghurt (sheep yoghurt). Next tme I'll try adding some raisins. Thanks for posting!
Made for I've Saved All These Recipes Tag Game / Diabetic Forum
Tasty porridge. I added stevia, plus extra cinnamon and apple.
This is such a filling and satisfying breakfast Amber. I used shredded apples, flax, brownsugar, cinnamon, and a handful of granola on top. Lucious. Thanks!!! Tagged and made for March's Beverage Tag 08