Recipe by FLKeysJen
From "Great, Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking" by the Silver Palate's Julee Rosso.
Top Review by Outta Here
This is one of the best mac and cheeses I have ever had! And low-fat!!! I love the tanginess of the buttermilk and goat cheese. This one will be made again! Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese or 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 lb penne, cooked according to package directions
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8 x 11.5 x 2-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the blender, place the buttermilk, cottage cheese, cream cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella, Asiago and half the Parmesan, and blend until smooth.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and add the cheese mixture, and toss until well-coated. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Place the pasta in the baking dish; top with the bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the top is golden brown.