Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love it when I discover a new low carb, South Beach way-of-life recipe, and this was one is yummo! I found this on another site, and then modified it slightly. I found that the finished product was fork-tender, flavorful, and even better without the tortillas! Since the steak is so tender and tasty in this dish, I do recommend going with a sirloin or higher-end steak, rather than an inexpensive steak - it is well worth it in this dish! A fabulous one pan-meal made in around 30 minutes - what more could you ask for??!! :-)
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup sliced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced red pepper
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces low-fat cheese
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons guacamole (optional)
- In a skillet, over med-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add onion, peppers, mushrooms, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, and saute, just until veggies are tender.
- Remove from skillet.
- Add steak slices and cook, just until browned and cooked through (5-7 minutes or so), steak should be cooked no more than rare to med-rare.
- Add onions and pepper mixture, and heat through.
- Serve beef and veggie mixture in bowls, sprinkled with cheese, and served with dollops of sour cream and guacamole (if desired).
YUM! We really loved this recipe. It was delicious and so simple to prepare - especially if you slice the steak and chop veggies earlier in the day! Great fajita flavor. I loved the fact that it was a low carb dinner for me and I could easily throw in some tortillas for my DH & kids. I agree with Helping Hands, definitely go for sirloin or better cut of meat. To make sure the steak is served tender, cut across the grain and then, as Helping Hands suggests, cook until rare/medium rare. Other notes: I added 1 T. olive oil to my pan, in addition to the butter. I used a little less than recommended amts. of chili powder and cayenne. Definitely serve with the optional items..yum yum yum! We will be making this recipe again, for sure. :-) *Made for My 3 Chefs 2007*