Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Whilst I was staying in Yemen I became acquainted with a wonderful Thailandese lady who lived in Saudi. She used to make these treats often for an evening snack, served along some strong cardamom tea...a classic arab treat. If done correctly, the 'donuts' should not absorb too much of the sugar and have a lovely sticky coating on the outside. Best eaten immediately!
- For batter :.
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl.
- Add in yoghurt and milk and mix until combined.
- Mixture should be of middling texture, not watery and not too thick. Just somewhat thicker than a pancake batter consistency.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat oil, when hot drop batter in by teaspoonfuls and cook until just golden brown.
- Drain and then place immediately into syrup and toss to coat.
- When coated completely remove and place on serving dish. Serve warm.
- For Syrup :.
- Boil water and sugar together on low heat without stirring (so that it'll stay clear) until it reaches the point that when it cools on the spoon, it is of a thick sticky consistency.
These were pretty good. I'm not much of a sweets eater but the kids seemed to love them, thanks for posting. <br/>Made for forum event: Let's Go to Saudi Arabia