Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This salad is my interpretation of one served at Luby's Cafeteria every autumn. It's great to serve all through the upcoming holiday season! Cooking time includes cooling and chilling times.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries, washed and picked over
- 1 apple, unpeeled (I like jonagolds)
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 cup broken walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, mix sugar and water, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries. Return to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently 4 to 5 minutes or until most cranberries have popped, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cranberries from heat and cool completely at room temperature.
- Quarter the apple; core and chop. Add to cool cranberries. Chop the orange and banana and add to cranberries with the nuts.
- Mix well and refrigerate until serving time, at least 4 hours or overnight.