This recipe was in my local newspaper, but they credit Nava Atlas, "Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons". I made this for dinner tonight. It is easy and quite tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced (reserve the leaves as well)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 16 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 cup salt-free tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic and saute until golden.
- 3Add the carrots, celery and chopped leaves, and potatoes.
- 4Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine (if you are using wine), bay leaves and Italian seasoning. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover.
- 6Lower heat to simmer and cook 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- 7Add chickpeas, peas and parsley. Add water if soup is too thick.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Simmer another 20-30 minutes until vegetables are completely tender.
- 10Discard bay leaves and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 138.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt-free tomato sauce