Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was in my local newspaper, but they credit Nava Atlas, "Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons". I made this for dinner tonight. It is easy and quite tasty!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced (reserve the leaves as well)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 16 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 cup salt-free tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until golden.
- Add the carrots, celery and chopped leaves, and potatoes.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine (if you are using wine), bay leaves and Italian seasoning. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add chickpeas, peas and parsley. Add water if soup is too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer another 20-30 minutes until vegetables are completely tender.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.
Made for My 3 Chefs. This was wonderful soup and so satisfying on a cool fall evening. I did add a half pound of ground buffalo 'cause DH has to have some meat in his meal. We will most definitely have this again. Thanks for posting this MilanzMom! Updated 12/19/08 to include stars - just realized that I forgot them! Sorry MilanzMom!