Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I developed this recipe in 1986 especially for my DW who had a serious cholesterol problem. I do not use any suet or beef fat at all.
- 1 large orange, seeds removed
- 1 large lemon, seeds removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups currants
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden seedless raisins
- 8 medium size apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- In a food processor, process the unpeeled orange and lemon until very fine.
- Add currants and raisins to processor and process slightly, but not smooth, just until mixture blends.
- In a large cooking pot, add chopped apples, processed mixture, red wine vinegar and salt; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves and continue to simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- When cooked, remove from heat and let cool.
- Spoon mincemeat into a glass container with lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
- You may make your own pastry shells or purchase them in the frozen food section at your market.