Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is incredibly rich-tasting!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more)
- 1 (1 lb) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 8 ounces linguine
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stewed tomatoes, basil, and pepper; bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in milk and continue to simmer 5 minutes more.
- While sauce is cooking, prepare linguine according to package directions; drain.
- Add cooked linguine to tomato mixture, along with parmesan cheese.
- Toss until pasta is coated with sauce.
What a delicious meat free meal. I used spaghetti in place of the linguine, and will definitely keep this as a regular for our meatless meal nights. The skim evaporated milk does indeed make this pasta 'creamy' and its so quick to put together.
I found the evaporated skim milk made the consistency of the sauce a bit odd. It was almost curdled. This wasn't bad, but it wasn't a 5 star meal either. You can definitely tell that it's low fat.
This was good but not great. I thought the evap milk didn't really do enough to the sauce to warrent the use of it at all. Sorry, maybe I did something wrong.