This wonderful recipe is healthy and decked out for the holidays! They are moist, fudgy, and beautiful, not to mention low-fat, reduced-sugar, and enriched with fibre! I used a recipe from Canadien Living and Becel Margarine the make these beauties. Perfect addition to the cookie plates, especially if you crush one green candy cane and one red one for the topping. Note: one largish candy cane makes one tablespoon crushed. To crush, put candy canes in a plastic bag and lightly crush with a hammer. By the way, this recipe doubles up beautifully into an 8x8, and you can double it again into a 9x13. Enjoy!
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
- 1⁄8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted (non-hydrogenated like becel, make sure 1 tbsp=about 100 calories)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (smooth)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons coarsly crushed peppermint candy canes
- 3 -3 1⁄2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (see below)
- beat together melted margarine, cocoa, sugar, egg, applesauce, peppermint extract, and vanilla.
- Gently stir in flours, baking soda, 1-1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips (set aside the rest) and salt until well-combined, not overmixing.
- Grease loaf pan and dust it lightly with cocoa then bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out of oven and top with crushed candy canes then remaining chocolate chips. Return to the oven for 30 seconds (not letting topping melt).
- Cool then refrigerate before enjoying.