Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love fettuccine, but can't handle the fat. Try this low fat version. My whole family loves it!
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese (cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb fettuccine, cooked
- Combine all ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring till blended.
- Pour over cooked noodles, toss to coat.
- Sometimes we'll add chicken, shrimp, or steamed broccoli.
So sorry, but I didn't care for this. The sauce did not turn out creamy and the taste just wasn't there.
This is a simple way to prepare an Alfredo-like sauce. I do prefer "real" sauce, but this is so quick and easy that I can't resist the convenience sometimes. I didn't follow the lowfat guidelines and used full fat cream cheese and whole milk. I also sautéed a bit of garlic in the butter prior to adding the remaining ingredients. Hubby had no complaints for this pasta.
If you are not a fan of fat free cream cheese, consider making this with yogurt cheese. No ugly aftertaste. Have not tried it with this recipe, but it has worked well in similar preparations.