Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made these this morning based on Dancer's Dried Cherry Muffin recipe (36519), and they turned out moist and delicious! They're just sweet enough, and the whole wheat flour gives them a nice texture. Leave the peels on the apples for fiber; the baking makes them soft anyhow.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light maple syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (flour through sugar); mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add the egg whites, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix gently.
- Fold in the apples and mix just until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter into lightly greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- While muffins are baking combine the remaining cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle over muffins as soon as they come out of the oven; the moisture of the muffins will hold just enough sugar in place.
This recipe is good. I love that it is so healthy. I will try them again with some adjustments, because the recipe has the potential to be a keeper.
I thought these were really good muffins! Healthier than "regular" high fat muffins, with added fiber, what can be wrong? I used dark maple syrup, which added to the maple flavour, I think. I also was just shy of 1/2 cup of applesauce, so I topped it with olive oil, probably made up about 1 tbsp. I also used 2 eggs instead of the whites only (I never know what to do with the yolks, so I hate to waste them.) Another winner, Smellyvegetarian! Made for VeggieSwap11.
I made these for breakfast today and they turned out moist and yummy. The maple syrup pairs really well with the apple and the different spices, but I think I might use more of it next time, since it barely came through. I left out the sugar in the batter, cause I prefer my muffins less sweet and this way they had a nice fruity sweetness from the apples. Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe with us, smellyvegetarian. Its a really good basic apple muffin recipe. Made and reviewed for Veg'n'Swap #11 (PAV).