Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
For a reduced fat sauce this is pretty darn good! Add in some cooked broccoli or peas if desired, serve this over cooked pasta, fettuccine work well with this! .
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups nonfat milk or 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour (for a thinner sauce use 3 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- In a small skillet heat oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned; add in the garlic and chili flakes the last 2 minutes of cooking (the onions must be lightly browned!).
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan whisk/stir together milk, chicken broth, flour and black pepper over low heat until smooth, thickened and heated though.
- Add the the onion/garlic mixture to the prepared sauce; mix until heated through.
- Add/mix in Parmesan cheese and season with salt if desired.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
I didn't like this sauce at all. The flavor was flat and it was obviously a knock off of a cream sauce. To me, there was no similarity to Alfredo sauce. This is definitely not a recipe I will make again.
Very yummy sauce and there's no way anyone would guess that it's low fat! Bursting with flavor! I have kids who aren't fond of onion so I only used about 1/4 of a cup and only about 1/2 tsp of the chili pepper flakes. We served it over a meat ravioli and I think next time I will try it a little thinner.