Recipe by TheDancingCook
I love stuffed peppers and was craving them on my low carb diet. I fooled around a bit and came up with these. I promise, they're so flavorful that you won't even miss the rice. Enjoy!
Top Review by wonderstub
Tasty recipe. I did change the parmesan by just adding it into the meat mixture. It gave it a fantastic flavor. I also chopped us some fresh basil and added it to the mix as well. The cooking time was a bit off though as after one hour the green pepper still had a little too much crunch. I might take it out another five minutes if I make it again.
- 4 large green peppers or 4 large red peppers, seeded, cored and sliced in half lengthwise
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml mushroom, chopped
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 453.59-566.99 g lean ground turkey (I use 93% lean)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 411.06 g can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- parmesan cheese (fresh grated or shredded) or mozzarella cheese, for topping (fresh grated or shredded)
- italian seasoning, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On stovetop in a medium skillet or saucepan, sauté mushroom, onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until veggies are soft; remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl,combine ground turkey, egg, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add sauté veggie mixture to turkey mixture; mix well.
- Stuff peppers with turkey/veggie mix and place in an ungreased shallow casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine undrained tomatoes and tomato sauce; pour over peppers to cover.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings; cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned.