Chef #Pedantic Gourmet's Note:
Is it a muffin or a cupcake? Depends on which way you go: to frost, or not to frost? I opted for no frosting, and instead added a touch of decadence in the form of semi-sweet chocolate chips. A good sweet treat for the morning. I based this on a recipe from Penzeys Spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons Benefiber fiber supplement (optional)
- 3/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking or 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk (or 2/3 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp. white vinegar to make sour milk)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- 3Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Benefiber, if using, into a large mixing bowl. Sift in the Splenda baking blend (or sugar). Add the softened butter and mashed banana. Using an electric mixer, beat on low for 2-3 minute or until somewhat blended.
- 4Add the buttermilk (or sour milk), egg substitute, vanilla and cinnamon. Beat on high until well-blended. The batter will be thick and smooth. Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- 5Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners, to about 2/3 full. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting, if you're going to do that.
- 6Can be frozen for 1-2 months. Nuke on low power on a paper towel to reheat.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Cal Banana Muffins / Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.4 mg
- Sodium 223.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.1 g