Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love black eyed peas, they are so good for a low cholesterol diet. Posted for ZWT III, North Africa, Egyptian.
- 3 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash the peas and boil them in a pot with water and salt for 45 minutes. Drain them.
- In another pot put the olive oil and the onion. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic, the tomatoes, the tomato paste, the parsley and the dill. Let them cook in medium hear for 30 minutes. Add some salt.
- Add the peas to the sauce, mix and cook in low heat for 15 minutes.
This is great! It makes a large amount and is tasty enough to bring to a pot luck! Excellent with any Middle Eastern/Mediterranean meal.
Perfect healthy recipe , but I didn't add parsley or dill as I felt it will be too many flavors , also I ignored the tomato paste , I only used fresh tomato .It turned yummy with white rice and steak .
I made this dish for my daughters book club group and my only change that I would make to this recipe is I would not add as much dill to it. Other than that this dish is GREAT