Recipe by Cinnamom in Illinois
This recipe came about because we over-bought a green bean/wax bean frozen veggie combo. What to do with so many beans, especially in summer when you need room in the freezer for Ice Cream?? This bean salad is great, almost a meal in itself, and we've used it that way. The ounces listed for canned beans are those available locally, but can vary somewhat with different brands. If you like more beans, feel free to add them -- I've also put in black beans and butter beans, the more the merrier! Travels well, and is great warm or cold, but I prefer it right from the pan. MMMM!
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, sliced into rings
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (cannelini)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 lb frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 lb frozen wax bean (may also use canned if frozen not available)
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup bottled sweet and sour sauce
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into bite-size pieces. Place in wok or large skillet and cook just until it begins to get crispy, over medium-high heat.
- Drain off drippings, reserving about a tablespoon.
- Add onion, and cook until coated with drippings and tender, no more than 5 minutes.
- Place frozen beans together in a colander and run under cool water, just to defrost. Add to pan and cook until tender, no more than 6-8 minutes.
- Rinse and drain canned beans and add to pan, stirring lightly to evenly distribute beans. Heat through, approximately 3-4 minutes more.
- Mix vinegar and sweet and sour sauce, and add to pan, stirring lightly but thoroughly so all ingredients are coated. Stirring too much will make the canned beans mushy.
- If you use more beans, the cooking time will be longer and serving yield will be higher. You may also need a bit more sauce to completely cover the extra beans.
- If you don't have the prepared sweet and sour sauce, you may use Catalina salad dressing -- very similar in a pinch.