Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good little homey version of your standard French...
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind (grated)
- 8 slices bread (thin slices)
- 3 egg whites (beaten until frothy)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 10 ounces bratwursts (sliced)
- 2 large granny smith apples (cored, sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (equal parts each)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- pure maple syrup
- Heat oven 425.
- Whisk together the milk, yolks and lemon juice.
- Soak bread in yolk mixture to saturate.
- Place whites and crumbs in seperate bowls.
- Dip bread in whites, then crumbs to coat.
- Place on a sprayed baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes.
- Turn. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute bratwurst until golden.
- Add apples and onions. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, cinnamon sugar and salt and pepper.
- Serve on top of toast with syrup.