1/1 Photo of Lorilyn's Rye Dinner Rolls
1 hr 12 mins
This recipe is a variation of my recipe for Lorilyn's Dinner Roll Dough. It was inspired by a tag I did while hosting Kittencal's Cookathon in memory of her husband John. I tagged her Easy Rolled Crescent Reubens & realized that my favorite part of a Reuben sandwich is the rye bread; so I modified my own dough recipe with rye flour & caraway seeds. This is a super easy recipe & the rye flavor complimented Kitt's reuben recipe very well. It will also be a great side for a traditional St. Patrick's Day feast of corned beef & cabbage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In heavy duty mixer bowl (fitted with dough hook attachment), stir together yeast, 1 cup of the all purpose flour & all the rye flour.
- 2In small saucepan over med-high heat, combine salt, sugar, milk & shortening.
- 3Stir with wooden spoon until shortening is nearly melted & just has a couple tiny, pea-sized lumps floating around (approx 120 degrees on candy thermometer).
- 4Pour hot mixture into mixer bowl with yeast & flour, add both eggs & begin mixing on low to medium speed til mixture is all wet.
- 5Begin slowly adding spoonfuls of flour & mixing until dough forms into ball around the dough hook & bottom of mixer bowl is no longer sticky with wet dough. Ball of dough will be slightly smooth & spring back when touched with fingertip.
- 6Remove dough from hook & bowl & form into ball with hands. Spray inside of bowl with non-stick cooking spray & then drop dough ball into bowl with the smooth side down. Then turn ball over so the seam side is now down. (This greases top & bottom of ball).
- 7Cover mixer bowl with it's lid,a towel or foil & place in warm area to rise for about an hour. Dough will be about double the starting size in an hour.
- 8When risen, use fist to "punch" dough down in center. Then remove from bowl & divide into two balls. Place both on lightly floured surface & cover loosely with foil. Let rest 10 minutes.
- 9Roll out one ball at a time into large circle about 1/2 inch or less in thickness.
- 10Use pizza cutter to slice dough like a pizza into about 12 or so triangles. Roll each triangle up starting at large end & ending with the "tail" end. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet with tail on bottom.
- 11Cover & let rise for another 15-20 minutes.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes (depending on oven being used & personal preference. I only bake ours 9-10 minutes because we like them light in color & a litte squishy in the middle).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lorilyn's Rye Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.2
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.6 mg
- Sodium 434.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 14.5 g